Monday, May 21, 2012

Annular Eclipse from Cedar City

I enjoyed the May 20, 2012 annular eclipse from the top of the "C" Trail, above Cedar City, Utah. I've linked my hiking write-up from that trail of last year.

When I got to the top of the hike last year, I confirmed that there was a paved road coming up from the back, and that the visibility to the west from here was practically unlimited. At the time, I was only thinking of taking a nice hike, and enjoying a nice view. But when I started thinking about places to view the annular eclipse, this spot was immediately placed near the top of my list.

The actual center line of this eclipse passed over Kanaaraville, about 12 miles south of this spot. Interestingly enough, the place they picked to center the eclipse "festivities" was in the road leading to, and the parking area for, the Spring Creek Wilderness Study Area. I had hiked and visited this area during my trip last year, as well.

However, with estimates of several thousand people descend-ing on this tiny town, I thought there was a chance of getting trapped there for hours. I'd miss out on the t-shirt, hot dog, and knick-knack vendors, but I was willing to make that sacrifice.

At the same time, I was pretty sure the top of the "C" trail would attract a fair number of locals. Given the size of the local population, plus the more-organized observing events within an easy drive, I was optimistic that my chosen spot would have a moderate but manageable turnout. Turns out I was right.

I pulled into the lot maybe 20 minutes before first contact. The lot was filling, but not filled. I parked near the entrance, and my wife and I carried most of our telescope necessities to near the overlook. Once having a spot picked out, I walked back to the car, drove back, unpacked the other necessities, then drove the car back to the other end of the lot.

I figure maybe 50 cars in the immediate area and probably 150-200 people milling about. Most staked out a spot down below the lot or right at the front. And some, armed with their own observing equipment, or other comfortable viewing materials, stayed right where they were the whole eclipse. I'd estimate only 50-60 people here at the top of the "C" trail wandered over to our telescopes, which we were happy to share.

The white-light view showed several clusters of sunspots, and was actually reasonably easy to get snap shots through the eyepiece. The slightly higher magnification also made it easy to observe the "bumpy" rim of the moon. It was clearly not a smooth disc or orb, but was slightly ragged, with the peaks and valleys of impact craters and mountains.

The h-alpha view showed a very active solar disc, with prominances around much of the perimeter. The smaller opening of the h-alpha telescope proved problematic for hand-held photography, however, Never managed a usable shot from that one. But the views were outstanding. In particular, the "ring of fire" was actually more dramatic than I was expecting. I also enjoyed some spectacular "Bailey's Beads" shortly after third contact, with many flares and prominances peeking around the rim of the moon.

No comments: